Friday, 1 November 2013

GETTYSBURG LANDSCAPE By Cecelia Lyden


oil/stretched canvas

11x14
www.cecelialyden

My Saturday plein air group painted on the Gettysburg Battlefield this past week. I was there from 10:30 to 1:30. I spent the first hour or so wandering, getting stuck on one way streets, finally choosing a scene in front of the Pennsylvania Monument, schmoozing with the other artists, setting up my easel, paints, etc. I spent the next hour and a half shivering in the windy cold, cleaning my canvas after the wind had blown it on to my palette, recovering from the shocks of a cannon being fired off about 50 yards from us[ two or three times] and getting distracted by scores of tourists and a couple of motorcycle "gangs". The noise belied the beautiful "tranquil" setting. All I accomplished was the sketch above painting, which I finished in the warm, peace and quiet of my studio-thus making this a "Non Plein Air" painting.

3 comments:

Tatiana Myers said...

It is a quintessential of Plein Air tradition in what You did with this painting, Cecelia. Getting out, sketching, getting inspired and turning it into real gem in studio settings... I personally do see it as Plein Air work, can not tell for others, but this is how I feel about this painting. And it is so very beautiful piece... You should be proud.

Julie Riker said...

I agree with Tatiana. You established the entire composition and covered the canvas with color notes while you were on location. What you added in the studio are only details but do not drastically change the feeling of the painting. It's beautiful.

Cecelia Lyden said...

My Word--thank you so much for encouraging comments.